Here are three tasty color-packed on-the-go lunches that are healthy recipes and good for your gut. The recipes include overlapping ingredients to help reduce your grocery list.
Crispy Quinoa & Roasted Vegetable Kale Salad by Minimalist Baker
Vegan Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chickpea Soup by Cookie + Kate
Why These Ingredients are Gut Friendly
- Prebiotics: Each recipe includes prebiotics as garlic, onion, or even sauerkraut.
- Garlic: Garlic is a prebiotic that is antimicrobial, known to kill disruptive bacteria while also feeding the healthy bacteria.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are an especially skilled prebiotic-rich ingredient because they are ant-iinflammatory, helping soothe any intestinal irritation. The combination of raw and cooked vegetables adds diversity in the fiber that reaches your gut.
- Fiber: Fiber is the non-digestible part of plants that our bodies require for optimal digestion. Soluble fibers are found in the chickpeas and tahini while insoluble fibers are found in ingredients such as quinoa and kale. When your gut is composed of a variety of bacteria, it is able to respond to a greater variety of foods and protect against a greater range of insults.
- Herbs & Spices: When gut experts promote diversity in the diet, this recommendation extends to herbs and spices. The dishes include a mixture of garlic powder, Italian herbs, rosemary, and curry. Rosemary is a natural gas soother, easing bloating and indigestio