If you're not following @itslemonwater on Instagram, we recommend hitting that follow button ASAP to get your regular dose of wellness inspiration and wisdom! Our friend Michelle Siman is the brains behind the Lemon Water, and we sat down with her to find out what she turns to when it comes to her own health and wellbeing.
What are your top 5 healthy habits and why?
1. SLEEP. So much of our mental and physical health depends on this, having 7-8 hours of sleep each night can really provide us with our required reset. Sleep also supports our bodies immune system!
2. Not comparing myself to others. This is so much easier said than done. But knowing an understanding that we are all on our unique paths in live is what will allow us to really move forward in all that we do.
3. Making sure I’m always hydrated! Water plays such an important role in our regular function. It supports the gut, our skin, our mind to name a few. I try to aim to have been 2.5L - 3L of water a day.
4. Practicing gratitude daily. This is a part of my daily routine that allows me to feel good and energized. Focus and give thanks to all the good we have around us.
5. Disconnecting from social media. Two weeks ago I found myself getting over consumed by Instagram and it was affecting my mental health in a really negative way. I logged out of my personal account for a few days, this allowed me to recharge and I started feeling calmer. It is important to know and be aware of the negative impacts that social media has on our mental health, and that it is important for us to set healthy boundaries for ourselves.
What is your go-to daily health routine, and why are habits/having a routine important to you?
To echo one of my healthy habits it would be practicing gratitude and mindfulness every day. This has always been important to me but especially during times like these. We need to be aware and mindful of all that we do have in our lives. For me, it is my friends, my family, my community, and my health. Routines are important because they provide us with stability daily.
What does supporting your immune system mean to you?
Supporting my immune system means taking extra care of myself mentally and physically to ensure that my body is ready to protect itself when it’s a little worn out.
Who in your life has had the greatest impact on your health and why?
My mom! From an early age I was introduced and exposed to holistic approaches to wellness. I remember as a child drinking warm water with lemon every morning before school, to help me with my digestion sometimes with added ginger and honey,if I wasn't feeling so great. Little rituals like this have always been instilled in me!
How has your attitude towards your health and wellness evolved over time?
My attitude towards my own personal health journey is constantly evolving, my needs for my body are constantly changing as I grow. We know that our “wellness” is a journey rather than a destination, and with that comes changes. This year specifically I’ve been focusing a lot more on my mental health and well-being, and that should come to no surprise. We are all going through such major shifts and changes right now and it is important for us to be compassionate with ourselves.
What is your favorite natural ingredient and why?
Ginger forever! I absolutely love Ginger, not only is it absolutely delicious to cook with but it also supports our immune systems and soothes upset stomachs, double win.